The BASIC REQUIREMENTS for the position are as follows:
- be a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident of Canada,
- be a minimum of 18 years of age,
- have successfully completed at least 4 years of secondary school or equivalent,
- not have been convicted of a criminal offence for which a pardon has not been granted,
- be a fully licenced driver and meet the requirements of the Graduated Licencing system in the province of Ontario, having accumulated no more than 6 demerit points,
- meet the vision standards which include: colour, peripheral and depth perception requirements, and have uncorrected visual acuity of 20/40, and best corrected acuity of 20/30 with both eyes open (binocularly),
- be physically able to perform the duties of the position, with regard to personal safety and the safety of the public,
- must have Standard First Aid and Level C C.P.R. training,
- be of good moral character and habits.
Candidates are expected to:
- volunteer a minimum of 150 hours per year,
- reside in the Greater Toronto Area (Durham, Peel, York, Toronto),
- complete all ongoing training as required,
- commit to the program for a period of one year.
Individuals who do not meet all of the above requirements will not be considered for this volunteer position.
*In accordance with the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services, Private investigators and Security Guards Act, Bill 159, (2004), a person holding a Private Investigators licence will not be an eligible candidate for the Toronto Police Service Auxiliary Program.
*A person currently licensed as a security guard, or one who holds a dual licence may make application to the Auxiliary Program if it is determined that they do not directly or indirectly participate in any investigative capacity. Notwithstanding, a complete background investigation will be conducted to determine if a conflict of interest may exist.