Lateral Entry/Rehire Process
The Toronto Police Service accepts applications from experienced police officers. This is a competitive process with a number of applicants applying for a limited number of positions. The position, if posted will be open for a limited period. Please click on the blue “uniform opportunities” button for the Lateral/ Rehire application. Do not submit your application as a new hire.
- Successful completion of recruit training at the Ontario Police College, R.C.M.P. Depot or the accredited facilities below:
- British Columbia Institute of Justice
- Edmonton Police Service
- Calgary Police Service
- Saskatchewan Police College
- Winnipeg Police Service
- Ecole Nationale de Police du Quebec
- Atlantic Police Academy
- Successful completion of the prescribed probationary period
- Minimum two years of continuous service following graduation
- Valid driver’s license
- Valid CPR level “C” and Standard First Aid certificates
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent
- Valid Ontario fitness PIN or PREP test
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- Member in good standing
- Former Toronto officers are termed “rehires” and are eligible to apply to the Toronto Police Service. However, they MUST be separated from the Toronto Police Service for at least 1 year
Lateral Entry/Rehire applicants will be required, if selected for an interview, to provide the originals of the above documentation for verification. Additionally the below documentation will also be required at interview:
- Current police service warrant card and badge,
- Documents to verify rank,
- Any other documents that you believe should be placed in your file including other education documents, course certificates, current evaluations or documentations,
- Valid driver’s license (An Ontario Driver’s license will be required at time of hire),
- Proof of Canadian citizenship or permanent residency (valid permanent resident card).
Lateral Entry/Rehire applications will remain on file with the Toronto Police Service for one year.
NB: At the end of the year if you have not been contacted for an interview, your application will be purged. If at that point you are still interested, the submission of a new application will be required.
The Lateral Entry/Rehire Process
- Application review and selection
- Background Investigation
- Psychological assessment Interview