Upon being hired by the Toronto Police Service, every new recruit will begin their career as a Cadet-In-Training and will proceed with their formal training as follows:
- 3 weeks of orientation at the Toronto Police College,
- 12 weeks at the Ontario Police College in Aylmer, Ontario (Monday to Friday only),
- 9 weeks of further training at the Toronto Police College.
Courses covered during the 24 week training program will include defensive tactics, driving, firearms, neighbourhood policing and investigative training.
Once a cadet successfully completes their prescribed training at both colleges, a graduation ceremony will be held in which the cadet receives their badge and formal assignment. It is at this point, that the officer also gets sworn in and reclassified as a 4th class constable.
The fees for the Ontario Police College Recruit Training are $11,065.
Recruits of the Toronto Police Service have two payment options:
- One time payment of $11,065,
- The Police Credit Union offers a cadet loan at our lower preferred rates. For additional information check out our website at www.tpcu.on.ca.
If you would like to find out more about recruit training with the Toronto Police Service, please contact a recruiter for further information.