Training & Recruiting
Requirements for a Communications Operator
- Successful completion of Grade 12 education or an approved equivalent.
- Must be at least 18 years of age and legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Must not have been convicted of a criminal offence for which a pardon has not been granted.
- Must not have any charges pending before the courts.
- Must be of good moral character.
- Must be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant.
- 20/20 vision, (corrected or uncorrected) with normal close vision, colour vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus is essential.
- The ability to hear and readily relay information accurately, while operating various methods of communication equipment (Computer Aided Dispatch, portable radios, telephones).
- Applicants must successfully complete a variety of tests which may consist of typing (40 w.p.m.), memory retention, vocabulary, console simulator, vision and hearing tests will be conducted.
- Must have computer experience.
- Must have well-developed communication skills and be able to perform well in stressful situations.
- The following competencies will be assessed during a Behavioural Event Interview: Analytical Thinking, Communication skills, Listening, Understanding, Responding and Teamwork.
- Completion of a recognized Public Safety Communication Course would be considered an asset.
- Must have 2 years of experience in a customer service environment.
Applicants educated in the City of Toronto can obtain a certified copy of their Secondary School Transcripts by contacting the Toronto District School Board (TDSB):
TDSB Central Transcript Office
140 Borough Drive, Level 3
Scarborough, ON M1P 4N6
Fax Number: 416-396-6713
Foreign Educational Document Assessment
Requirements if educated outside the Province or Country:
- If you received your high school and/or college education in a province other than Ontario, or
- If you received your high school, college and/or university education in a country other than Canada.
You MUST receive educational equivalency and this documentation MUST be presented upon request.
The following is a list of private agencies that provide foreign document assessments for a fee:
Applicants educated in or outside the Province of Ontario can obtain equivalency assessments by requesting an application from:
International Credential Assessment Services of Canada (ICAS)
147 Wyndham Street North, Suite 409
Guelph, ON N1H 4E9
Toll-free Phone #: 1-800-321-6021
Foreign credentials only:
World Education Services - Canada (WES Canada)
45 Charles Street East, Suite 700
Toronto, ON M4Y 1S2
Post-secondary foreign credentials and Provincial secondary school credentials:
Comparative Education Service
University of Toronto
315 Bloor Street West
Toronto, ON M5S 1A3
Applicants who did not complete their high school education can obtain information about the High School Equivalency Diploma Assessment/Ontario Secondary School Diploma by contacting:
Independent Learning Centre
2180 Yonge Street, 7th Floor
Teaching Credentials Evaluation
Ontario College of Teachers
121 Bloor Street East, 6th floor
Toronto, ON M4W 3M5