Forensic Identification Services
The primary function of the Photo Section is to provide the photographs
for evidentiary purposes and disclosure for court.
The FIS Photo Section is a full service colour processing facility,
which employs a state of the art in house colour photographic printer.
The TPS FIS unit uses the Noritsu QSS 3213 that features processing
capabilities for up to 12 x 36 inch colour prints by conventional
silver halide wet process. Plus we can produce up to 24 x 36 prints
from electronic media using ink jet technology.
The Photo Section is comprised of 5 technicians who use IBM and Apple workstations to facilitate the print production of all digital & film images supplied by the Toronto Police Services.
The Photo Section also carries out research and offers input in the selection of photographic equipment for the service. Technicians also offer advice and teach SOCO’s photographic techniques.
Services provided to members of FIS and Toronto Police include:
- C-41/ Black & white film processing
- Archiving of negatives and digital, media
- Custom colour & B/W enlargements up to 24 x 30 inch including colour matching and one to one prints
- Reproduction of different media – slides, photos, digital scans input & output
- Data recovery from portable flash memory
- Digital imaging for internal and external publications
- Digital enhancements for publicity and promotional usage
- Public relations photography & corporate portraits
- Technical photographic support to all units (trouble –shooting camera equipment, processes, purchasing advice)
- Deliver training to SOCOs , surveillance, and special assignments
- Monitor quality control of photographic evidence being submitted for court presentations
Annually the photo section produces over 100,000 images for the Toronto Police Services.