Niruba Jegatheeswaran, 25, charged in credit card Fraud investigation
Broadcast time: 11:06
Friday, March 17, 2017
During October 2016, Toronto Police Service Financial Crimes, along with investigators from the Toronto Transit Commission, started an investigation.
It is alleged that:
- a woman would attend various TTC collector booths throughout the city, purchasing rolls of tokens
- the woman would produce a forged credit card as payment
- the credit cards were encoded with stolen credit card data
- the woman would also purchase pre-paid gift cards using forged credit cards
- a search warrant was executed at the woman's residence
- 42 forged credit cards, along with equipment capable of encoding cards, were recovered
On Wednesday, March 15, 2017, Niruba Jegatheeswaran, 25, of Ajax, was arrested. She is charged with:
1) 14 counts of Unauthorized Possession Credit Card data
2) 14 counts of Possession of Credit Card Obtained By Crime
3) Possession of Property Obtained by Crime over $5000
4) Fraud Over $5000
5) Possess Instrument for Copying Credit Card Data
6) Unlawful Possession of an Identity Document
She was scheduled to appear in court at College Park on Thursday, March, 16, 2017, 10 a.m., room 507
The investigation continues.
Police are seeking the assistance of anyone, especially retail operators, who may have sold pre-paid gift cards to this woman.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7300, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.
Please download the Toronto Police Service Mobile App for iOS or Android.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Jenifferjit Sidhu, Corporate Communications, for Detective Constable Justyn Humeniuk, Financial Crimes