Man, 23, charged in home-invasion Robbery,
Bloor Street East and Sherbourne Street area,
Faces 16 charges,
Images of seized firearms released
Broadcast time: 06:59
Friday, June 2, 2017
Case #: 2017-847268
Toronto Police Service Hold Up would like to make the public aware of a man arrested for a violent home-invasion Robbery in the Bloor Street East and Sherbourne Street area.
It is alleged that:
- on Sunday, May 14, 2017, a man forced his way into an apartment, armed with a handgun
- the man demanded money
- he then subdued the 48-year-old woman and pistol-whipped her over the head several times
- the man proceeded to take one of her puppies and made good his escape
- the victim sustained minor cuts to her head
- an investigation conducted by members of Hold Up resulted in the identification of the male suspect
A search warrant was obtained and, on Wednesday, May 31, 2017, with the assistance of the TPS Drug Squad and Emergency Task Force, the man was arrested and a search warrant was executed.
It is further alleged that:
- during the arrest, a loaded Browning 9mm handgun and .38 Special snub nose revolver belonging to the accused were seized
- a large quantity of heroin and cocaine were seized.
Samuel Elvira, 23, of Toronto, was charged with:
1) Robbery while Armed with a Firearm
2) two counts of Fail to Comply Recognizance
3) Possession of a Loaded Prohibited or Restricted Firearm
4) Unauthorized Possession of Firearm
5) Unauthorized Possession of Firearm in Motor Vehicle
6) Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
7) Careless Storage of Firearm
8) Possession of a Firearm, Prohibited or Restricted Weapon Obtained by Crime
9) six counts of Possession of a Schedule 1 Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking
10) Possession of Proceeds of Crime Under $5000
He appeared in court at Old City Hall on Thursday, June 1, 2017, 10 a.m., room 101.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Caroline de Kloet, Corporate Communications, for Staff Inspector Mike Earl, Hold Up