Shaun Rootenberg, 49, faces 12 charges in
Broadcast time: 13:17
Wednesday, June 7, 2017
Case #: 17-9437758
The Toronto Police Service would like to advise the public of an arrest in an ongoing Fraud investigation.
It is alleged that:
- a man named Shaun Rootenberg, using the alias Shaun Rothberg, used the services of the online dating site eHarmony to locate and defraud his victims
- he carried on intimate relationships with his victims, while convincing them to trust him with funds that he was to invest for their benefit
- this was a ruse used to get money from his victims
- the funds were never invested, but were used to fund the man's lifestyle
On Tuesday, June 6, 2017, at 8:15 a.m., Shaun Rootenberg, 49, of Thornhill, was arrested. He is charged with:
1) four counts of Fraud over $5,000
2) four counts of Possession of proceeds of crime
3) four counts of Laundering proceeds of crime
He was scheduled to appear in court at College Park on Wednesday, June 7, 2017, 10 a.m., courtroom #501.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Paul Mackrell at 416-808-7813, firstname.lastname@example.org, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Jenifferjit Sidhu, Corporate Communications, for Detective Paul Mackrell, Financial Crimes