Man, 37, charged in Public Mischief investigation
Broadcast time: 10:19
Wednesday, November 1, 2017
Case #: 2017-1852513
The Toronto Police Service would like to inform the public of an arrest in a Public Mischief investigation.
It is alleged that:
- on Thursday, October 12, 2017, a man attended 33 Division to report the theft of $7,000 cash
- he claimed he was stopped for driving with an expired licence plate sticker by uniformed police officers driving a marked police car with flashing lights
- he claimed he was ordered to exit his vehicle
- when he complied, one of the officers searched his vehicle
. when the man returned to his vehicle, $7,000 cash was missing
The TPS began an intensive investigation.
It is further alleged that:
- with the co-operation and assistance of the public, evidence came to light that led to the conclusion that the traffic stop had never occurred, nor had there been any contact with police officers
On Sunday, October 29, 2017, Mark Dean Burrell, 37, of Mississauga, was charged with:
1) Public Mischief
He is scheduled to appear in court at 1000 Finch Avenue West on Friday, December 8, 2017.
The Toronto Police Service would like to thank the public for their assistance with this investigation.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Caroline de Kloet, Corporate Communications, for Detective Corey Jones, 33 Division