Bum Joon Kim, 39, faces 21 charges in ongoing
online apartment rental investigation,
Nine new charges laid
Broadcast time: 14:53
Friday, November 24, 2017
Case #: 2017-1963182
The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of an arrest in an ongoing online apartment rental investigation.
It is alleged that:
- from July to October 2017, a man posted apartment rental advertisements on the internet
- he then met with "prospective tenants" who responded to the advertisements and showed them various apartment units apparently for rent
- the "prospective tenants" then turned over cash deposits to the man in the belief that the units were theirs to rent
- they later discovered that the units were not available to be rented
On Monday, October 30, 2017, Bum Joon Kim, 39, of no fixed address, was arrested.
He was charged with:
1) three counts of fraud over $5000
2) 18 counts of fraud under $5000
See previous release.
On Wednesday, November 8, 2017, Bum Joon Kim, 39, of no fixed address, was arrested and further charged with:
1) Fraud over $5000
2) eight counts of fraud under $5000
He appeared in court at Old City Hall on Friday, November 10, 2017, 2 p.m., courtroom 111.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-5200, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Caroline de Kloet, Corporate Communications, for Detective Constable John Maciek, 52 Division Frauds