News Release header


Early closure on Saturday of TPS North Collision Reporting Centre,
113 Toryork Road

Broadcast time: 14:41
Friday, November 10, 2017

Traffic Services

The Toronto Police Service would like to advise the public regarding a change in hours of operation for the North Collision Reporting Centre at 113 Toryork Road. The reporting centre will be closing on Saturday, November 11, 2017, at 8 p.m., for maintenance. The North Collision Reporting will be returning to normal operating hours on Sunday, November 12, 2017, at 6 a.m.

The regular business hours of the reporting centres are below.

North Collision Reporting Centre

113 Toryork Drive, Toronto, ON M9L 1X9
Telephone: (416) 808-2222 (then press 2 for further information)
Open 7 Days a Week, 6 a.m. to 12 a.m.

East Collision Reporting Centre

39 Howden Road, Scarborough, ON M1R 3C7
Telephone: (416) 808-2222 (then press 2 for further information)
Open 7 Days a Week, 6 a.m. to 12 a.m.

How to Report a Collision

The Toronto Police Service would like to remind the public of how, where, and when a collision must be reported in the City of Toronto.

A Collision Reporting Centre (CRC) is a facility which was created to help motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians report motor vehicle collisions which they have been involved in.

The Ministry of Transportation defines a collision as contact resulting from the motion of a motor vehicle or street car or its load that produces property damage, injury, or death.

Collisions which police will attend

• The collision involves a fatality
• A personal injury collision where a person is transported to hospital directly from the scene of the collision in an ambulance
• Any criminal activity involved in a collision (e.g., impaired driving, stolen vehicle, assault)
• Collisions involving a person who is uninsured or is a suspended driver (simply not having an insurance card does not necessarily mean the vehicle is not insured, these collisions can be referred to the CRC)
• Any collision involving a pedestrian, cyclist or person on a wheeled device which is reported immediately and at the scene of the collision
• Any collision involving damage to highway or public property
• Service vehicle involved collisions
• Collisions that are reported and/or have occurred between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m., where any vehicle is not drivable
• Collisions involving transportation of hazardous goods where the hazardous goods have been compromised

If the collision you are involved in does not meet the above criteria, but does meet the minimum requirements set out by the Ontario Highway Traffic Act to report the collision to police, you must report your collision at a CRC.

What are Collision Reporting Centres?

A Collision Reporting Centre (CRC) is a facility created to help motorists, cyclists and pedestrians report motor vehicle involved collisions. There are two Collision Reporting Centre locations in Toronto.

What is the law on reporting a collision under the Highway Traffic Act?

The Highway Traffic Act requires that all collision where persons suffer any level of injury, or damage valued at more than $2,000 (combined) to vehicles or property, or damage to any highway property be reported to police forthwith.

Can I report a collision without bringing in my vehicle?

A report will not be taken at the CRC if the involved vehicle and driver are not present. Without exception, towed vehicles must go directly to a CRC before repairs are started.

Additionally any person who attends a CRC, must ensure that they have the other involved driver(s) information to complete the collision report.

Do I have to exchange information when involved in a collision?

Under the Highway Traffic Act, any person involved in a collision must provide their personal identification (driver's licence), vehicle, and insurance information to the other person(s) involved in the collision.

Do police have to attend the scene of the collision to take the report?

Police will not attend the scene of minor collisions which do not meet the criteria as noted above; involved parties will be directed to attend a CRC where appropriate. The collision report will be taken at the CRC.

For further information on how to report a collision you may call 416-808-2222, then press 2.

Is a cyclist-involved dooring incident a motor vehicle collision?


What is dooring?

When a parked vehicle's occupant opens a door into a cyclist's path and the cyclist collides with the open door. This type of incident does not meet the definition of a collision under the Ministry of Transportation guidelines.

The level of injury a person suffers in a dooring incident is not a deciding factor whether or not a dooring report should be made. An officer will attend the scene of a dooring incident where a person is taken to hospital directly from the scene of the incident in an ambulance

If the dooring incident does not meet the above-mentioned criteria, the dooring incident should still be reported to police by calling 416-808-2222.

The fine upon conviction for a motor vehicle occupant committing a dooring-related offence is $300 plus a $60 victim fine surcharge and $5 court costs for a total of $365.

The Toronto Police Service would like to remind road-users that poor driving behavior or traffic-related complaints may be reported to the Toronto Police Service by following the link below.

For more news, visit

Constable Caroline de Kloet, Corporate Communications, for Constable Clint Stibbe, Traffic Services