Public Safety Alert,
Man, woman, wanted in Distraction Theft investigation,
Steeles Avenue West and Bathurst Street area,
Security camera videos of man and woman released
Broadcast time: 09:33
Monday, February 12, 2018
Case #: 2018-86264
The Toronto Police Service requests assistance identifying a man and a woman wanted in a Distraction Theft investigation.
On Sunday, January 14, 2018, at 1:40 p.m., a woman, 25, was in a restaurant in the Steeles Avenue West and Bathurst Street area
It is reported that:
- prior to attending the restaurant, the woman, 25, had withdrawn money
- while in the restaurant, the woman, 25, was approached by a man who began speaking with her
- during that time, a woman attempted to steal money from the 25-year-old woman's backpack but was not successful
It is further reported that:
- the woman, 25, was then spoken to by that woman, while the man attempted to steal the money from the woman's backpack
- both events were captured on security camera video
The first reported occurrence can be viewed on YouTube.
The second reported occurrence can be viewed on YouTube.
The Toronto Police Service is reminding people to be aware of their surroundings, especially when using ATMs or when handling large amounts of cash.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-3206, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Caroline de Kloet, Corporate Communications, for Detective Constable Robert Jackson, 32 Division