High-risk offender Joseph Thayakaran Joseph, 45, arrested for
breach of conditions in ongoing investigation,
Photograph of man released
Broadcast time: 13:58
Tuesday, April 10, 2018
Case #: 2018-616216
The Toronto Police Service would like to inform the public of the arrest of a high-risk sex offender for allegedly breaching conditions of his release.
On Wednesday, February 14, 2018, Joseph Thayakaran Joseph, 45, is to be released from prison after serving an eight-year, 10-month sentence for:
1) two counts of Sexual Assault
2) Sexual Assault with a Weapon
3) three counts of Forcible Confinement
He will be living in Toronto upon his release. The Toronto Police Service is notifying the public of his release due to his high-risk potential to re-offend.
He is subject to an 810.2 Recognizance order requiring him to abide by numerous conditions, including:
1) Report weekly to the Toronto Police Service
2) Not to enter into any intimate relationship, cohabitation, marriage or common-law relationship with a female until that person has been identified to the Toronto Police Service
3) Not to use social media accounts including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, etc, without specified permission. Any account used must be viewable by the public
4) Not have contact directly or indirectly with any person on social media unless specific permission is obtained 24 hours in advance of doing so
He has resided in Toronto since his release on February 14, 2018.
On Friday, April 6, 2018, officers received information that led them to begin an investigation into his conditional release.
It is alleged that:
- he was in breach of one of his conditions
Joseph Thayakaran Joseph, 45, of Toronto, was arrested. He is charged with:
1) Fail to Comply with Recognizance
He is scheduled to appear in court at College Park on Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10 a.m., room 501.
It is alleged that:
- he is known to frequent dating websites where he poses as a wealthy business owner
- he promises employment opportunities and requests résumés and other personal information
- he posts pictures of other men, claiming to be them
- he has gone by the names "Kings 416," "Big Buddy," and "Sunny Ben"
Police are appealing to anyone who may have had contact with him to call investigators.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7474, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable David Hopkinson, Corporate Communications, for Detective Liz Montgomery, Sex Crimes Behavioral Assessment Unit