Police warn about scam targeting Chinese people
Broadcast time: 11:04
Thursday, May 17, 2018
The Toronto Police Service would like to advise the public of a scam targeting Chinese people.
Police dealt with several occurrences in November 2017 and another in May 2018.
It was reported that:
- unknown person(s) are contacting Chinese people
- they are told to go into hiding or their family in China will be hurt
- they are also told not to use social media or cell phones
It is further reported that:
- these unknown person(s) then contact the families in China
- they tell the family that their son or daughter has been kidnapped
- a demand for a large ransom is made
Police were in contact with all the victims of the scam.
Police would like to remind the public to be vigilant and contact police immediately if they feel they are involved in this scam.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-2222, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Caroline de Kloet, Corporate Communications