Public Safety Alert,
Broadcast time: 10:32
Tuesday, June 5, 2018
Case #: 2018-984641
The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of the following telephone Fraud scheme.
It is reported that:
- a business received telephone calls from people indicating that they are Toronto Hydro technicians
- they used "call-display spoofing" technology, which meant the phone number for Toronto Hydro was displayed on the complainant’s call display, even though it was not Toronto Hydro calling
- the business was advised that they were required to pay more for their hydro bill and a technician would turn off the power to the business within thirty minutes if payment was not made to the nearest cryptocurrency (Bitcoin) machine
- the business deposited money to a cryptocurrency machine
- the people then demanded more money
Cryptocurrency transactions are encrypted and cannot be reversed. No utility company will demand payment via cryptocurrency.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-5200, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Jenifferjit Sidhu, Corporate Communications, for Detective Constable Patrick Stewart, 52 Division