Two people face total of 22 charges
after fire investigation,
Haida Court and Lash Court area
Broadcast time: 11:59
Monday, September 10, 2018
Case #: 2018-973209
The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of two arrests in a fire investigation.
On Wednesday, May 30, 2018, there was a house fire in the Haida Court and Lash Court area.
It is alleged that:
- an 18-year-old woman succumbed to her injuries due to the fire and a 20-year-old woman sustained non-life-threatening injuries
It is further alleged that:
- a man and woman were negligent in providing proper fire protection and safety at a home that they own and operate as a rental property
- this negligence directly led to the death of one tenant and serious burns to another
The investigation into the cause of the fire remains ongoing with the Office of the Fire Marshal.
On Friday, August 31, 2018, Weisong Zhou, 47, of Toronto and Yu Jing, 45, of Toronto, surrendered to police.
They have both been arrested and each charged with:
1) nine counts of Arson by Negligence
2) Criminal Negligence Causing Death
3) Criminal Negligence Cause Bodily Harm
They appeared in court at College Park on Friday, August 31, 2018, 10 a.m., courtroom 507.
If any member of the public has any concerns about the Toronto Fire Code or of the protections at a residence where they reside, please contact the City of Toronto at 3-1-1.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-4300, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Jenifferjit Sidhu, Corporate Communications, for Detective Constable Warren Breedon, 43 Division