Finch Avenue East and Yonge Street area,
Broadcast time: 21:10
Tuesday, September 25, 2018
Case #: 2018-1772798
The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of an arrest in a Firearm Investigation.
It is alleged that:
- on Monday, September 24, 2018, at approximately 10:30 p.m., police began an investigation involving two men in the Yonge Street and Finch Avenue East area
- members of the West Command Gun Violence Suppression Unit and the 31 Division Major Crime Unit attempted to stop the two men on foot
- a foot pursuit ensued and one man discarded a firearm
- an extensive ground search produced a Smith and Wesson .40 Calibre handgun, with fourteen rounds in the magazine
On Tuesday, September 25, 2018, Shaquane Stewart, 19, of Toronto, was arrested. He is charged with:
1. Possess firearm other than restricted or prohibited firearm knowingly not holding a licence
2. Possess loaded regulated firearm
3. Possess firearm obtained by crime
4. Use firearm carelessly
5. Carry concealed weapon
6. Store firearm carelessly
7. Possess prohibited device knowing no authority
Police are also urging anyone who recorded video on their cell phone or dashboard car camera in the area, or anyone who may have any information regarding this investigation, to contact police as soon as possible.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-3100, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Jenifferjit Sidhu, Corporate Communications, for Detective Constable Dan Pitre, West Command Gun Violence Suppression Unit-31 Division.