Public Safety Advisory – 53 Division
Significant Increase in Theft of Vehicles
Broadcast time: 08:00
Wednesday, September 26, 2018
The Toronto Police Service 53 Division has had a significant increase in calls for Theft of Vehicles. Year to date, compared to last year there has been a 112% increase in vehicles reported stolen.
The following crime prevention tips will assist in helping the public protect their property, their vehicles & themselves.
Parking Your Vehicle:
- turn ignition off and take the keys with you
- do not leave your vehicle running
- park in a well-lit attended area, if possible
- close and lock all doors and windows
- turn your wheels to the side to make it harder to tow
- if you have a garage, use it and lock it
- install a motion sensor light to illuminate your vehicles and garage area
- if you have a front-wheel drive vehicle park front end first. Back in rear-wheel drive vehicles
- always set the emergency brake
- do not leave the ownership or insurance cards in the vehicle when unattended
- set your vehicle alarm
- never leave anything on display when you leave your vehicle i.e. loose change, cigarettes, cigarette lighters, sunglasses, CDs, cellphones, laptops, cameras, clothing
These crime prevention tips can help prevent theft of your vehicle while protecting yourself & your property.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Jenifferjit Sidhu, Corporate Communications, for Constable Timothy Somers, 53 Division