Cross-border firearms smuggling investigation
Broadcast time: 11:35
Wednesday, November 7, 2018
Organized Crime Enforcement
In March 2018, the Toronto Police Service's Integrated Gun & Gang Task Force - Firearms Enforcement Unit and Intelligence Services started Project Belair.
The investigation took several months and was done in partnership with the US Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms and the Canada Border Services Agency.
It is alleged that:
- individuals were involved in illicit handgun sales in Toronto and the GTA
- the guns were being smuggled into Canada and then sold illegally
On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 and Thursday, November 1, 2018, 13 search warrants were executed in Toronto, Peel Region and Durham Region.
Alan Cunningham, 52, of Brampton, was arrested and charged with:
1. Four counts of Traffic in Firearms
2. Four counts of Traffic in Ammunition
3. Three counts of Possession Proceeds of Crime
4. Conspiracy to Traffic Firearms
5. Two counts of PFTP Schedule II Substance – Marihuana
Colin Levy, 52, of Brampton, was arrested and charged with:
1. Possession prohibited loaded firearm while unauthorized
2. Careless Storage Firearm
3. Possession of a firearm knowing possession is unauthorized
4. Possession firearm obtained by crime
5. Possession firearm knowing serial number has been removed
6. Two counts of PFTP Schedule II Substance
7. Traffic Schedule II Substance - Marihuana
8. Two counts of Possession Proceeds of Crime
William Datta, 41, of Ajax, was arrested and charged with:
1. Two counts of Traffic in Firearms
2. Two counts of Possess Firearm for the Purpose of Trafficking
3. Two counts of Possession Proceeds of Crime
4. Conspiracy to Traffic Firearms
5. Two counts of PFTP Schedule I Substance – crack cocaine
6. PFTP Schedule I Substance – powder cocaine
It is further alleged that:
- on Wednesday, October 31, 2018, a woman was crossing the border, using the Peace Bridge, in Fort Erie, Ontario
- she was stopped and 25 handguns were seized from the gas tank of her vehicle
Rima Mansour, 50, of Toronto, was arrested and charged with:
1. Twenty-five counts of Importing illegal firearms
2. Possession of a firearm knowing possession is unauthorized (1 count global)
3. Possession prohibited devices (over capacity magazines) (1 count global)
In total, investigators have seized:
- 30 firearms
- approximately 13 kilograms of marihuana
- 136 rounds of ammunition
- approximately 280 grams of cocaine
- approximately $45,000 in proceeds of crime
Alan Cunningham, 52, and William Datta, 41, appeared in bail court at Old City Hall on Tuesday, November 6, 2018. They were held in custody and will appear at Old City Hall on Thursday, November 8, 2018, room 111.
Colin Levy, 52, will appear in bail court at Old City Hall on Wednesday, November 7, 2018.
Rima Mansour, 50, appeared in bail court on Thursday, November 1, 2018. She was held in custody and will appear at 2201 Finch Avenue West on Friday, November 16, 2018, at 10 a.m.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-2500, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Meaghan Gray, Corporate Communications, for A/Superintendent Bryan Bott, Organized Crime Enforcement