Public Safety Alert,
Water heater scam targeting the elderly
Broadcast time: 13:15
Thursday, November 8, 2018
Case #: 2018-2053096
The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of a theft investigation that is targeting two senior citizens.
It is reported that:
- on Sunday, November 4, 2018, a resident who lives in the area of Brimley Road and McNicoll Avenue received a telephone call from a man advising that her water heater needed to be inspected
- the man stated that if she did not have her water heater inspected, she would be fined $1,000 by the Province of Ontario
- arrangements were made for the man to attend her residence on Monday, November 5, 2018, to inspect her water heater
- on Monday, November 5, 2018 at 4 p.m., two men attended the residence to inspect the water heater
- the two men went to the basement and checked the water heater, replaced a furnace filter and then went upstairs
- one of the men advised that he had to check the attic and went into the attic
- the man then advised he needed to check second floor and he went upstairs alone
- the two men then left the home and offered to return the next day to place more insulation in the attic
- after the men left, the resident discovered that the money kept in the house was taken
The Toronto Police Service urges homeowners to exercise caution when dealing with people who solicit business by phone or door-to-door in neighbourhoods. The public is reminded that in commercial transactions they should always verify the identity of a person or business before deciding to trust that person or business and invite them into their home.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-4200, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Jenifferjit Sidhu, Corporate Communications, for A/Inspector Jim Gotell, 42 Division