Sexual Assault Alert,
Broadcast time: 14:15
Thursday, February 28, 2019
Case #: 2019-325342
The Toronto Police Service's Child and Youth Advocacy Centre would like to make the public aware of an arrest in a sexual assault investigation.
It is alleged that:
- on Wednesday, February 20, 2019, a 16-year-old girl and a 17-year-old boy were at Parkway Mall, located at 85 Ellesmere Road
- on multiple occasions they were approached by a mall security officer who offered to give them access to a private room
- after leaving them alone, he returned to the private room and told them to leave
- once the boy left, he closed the door so he was alone in the room with the girl
- the security officer then sexually assaulted the girl
On Thursday, February 21, 2019, Mervin Anderson, 36, of Toronto, was arrested and charged with:
1. Sexual Assault
2. Sexual Exploitation
3. Criminal Harassment
He is scheduled to appear in court on Tuesday, March 26, 2019, at 1911 Eglinton Avenue East, in Room 407.
The CYAC is a partnership among local community and government agencies. It is comprised of specialized child abuse investigators from the Toronto Police Service in partnership with Boost Child & Youth Advocacy Centre, Children’s Aid Society of Toronto, Catholic Children’s Aid Society of Toronto, Native Child & Family Services, Jewish Family & Child, the Suspected Child Abuse and Neglect Program (The Hospital for Sick Children), Radius Child & Youth Services, SAFE-T Program, Child Development Institute, and the Victim Witness Assistance Program.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-2922, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637), or Leave A Tip on Facebook. Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.
A sexual assault is any form of unwanted sexual contact. It includes, but is not limited to, kissing, grabbing, oral sex and penetration. To learn more about sexual assault, including how to report a sexual assault, please visit our Sex Crimes website.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Meaghan Gray, Corporate Communications, for Detective Sergeant Gregory Payne, Sex Crimes - Child & Youth Advocacy Centre