Advanced Loan Fee Scam
Broadcast time: 11:25
Tuesday, March 12, 2019
Case #: 2018-1228379
The Toronto Police Service would like to advise the public of an Advanced Loan Fee Scam.
It is alleged that:
- during the months of May and June 2018, the "Bristol Landing Group" has defrauded people applying for a loan online
- five people applied for a loan online and were advised that their loans had been approved
- demands were made to provide a "Security Insurance" ranging from $800 to $1,450 from each person
- the funds were all e-transferred via the following emails: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
On Monday, March 12, 2019, Christopher Gero, 37, from Toronto, was arrested. He is charged with:
1. Five counts of Fraud Under
2. Five counts of Possess Proceeds Obtained by Crime
He is to appear in court, at 1911 Eglinton Avenue East, on Wednesday, May 8, 2019.
The Toronto Police Service believes there may be other victims and is asking anyone with information to come forward and contact Detective Constable Chuan Wang at email@example.com or 416-808-4300 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Jenifferjit Sidhu, Corporate Communications, for Detective Constable Chuan Wang, 43 Division Frauds