Toronto Imam arrested in Sexual Assault investigation,
Syed Zaidi, 49, charged
Broadcast time: 20:00
Wednesday, June 19, 2019
Case #: 2019-246767
The Toronto Police Service would like to inform the public of an arrest made in a sexual assault investigation.
In early 2019 a woman came forward to police alleging she had been sexually assaulted by her Imam. Officers then commenced an investigation.
It is alleged that:
- the woman met an Imam at a Mosque in 2008
- the Imam went to her home
- he convinced her that she was possessed and he could help her
- she was brought back to his living quarters
- she was sexually assaulted during what he claimed was a religious ceremony
- over the next several years she was continually sexually assaulted
- he threatened to harm her on numerous occasions
- he also threatened to expose her to the community and congregation
- he used his position to manipulate and control the woman
On Tuesday, June 18, 2019, Imam Syed Zaidi, 49, was arrested as he tried to board a plane to leave Canada at Pearson International Airport.
He is charged with:
1. Breach of Trust
2. three counts of Sexual Assault
3. Threatening Death
4. Criminal Harassment
He appeared in court at 1000 Finch Avenue West on Wednesday, June 19, 2019, at 10 a.m., in room 306.
Police are concerned there may be other victims.
Police would like to encourage all affected individuals to come forward and report Sexual Assault and Human Trafficking occurrences to police. We want to make sure that everyone has access to support services and an exit strategy, regardless of their decision to proceed criminally.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7474, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.
A sexual assault is any form of unwanted sexual contact. It includes, but is not limited to, kissing, grabbing, oral sex and penetration. To learn more about sexual assault, including how to report a sexual assault, please visit our Sex Crimes website.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable David Hopkinson, Corporate Communications, for Detective Sergeant Dave Correa, Human Trafficking Enforcement Team