Public Safety Alert,
43 Thorncliffe Park Drive area
Possible Coyote Bite
Broadcast time: 15:00
Wednesday, June 26, 2019
Case #: 2019-1173241
The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of an animal bite that occurred in the area of 43 Thorncliffe Park Drive.
It is reported that:
- on Wednesday, June 19, 2019, a 8-year-old boy was riding his bike
- he was attacked by what he believed to be a coyote and was bitten on his elbow and leg
- the animal was reported to be salivating, foaming at the mouth during the incident and as a precaution the boy was treated with the rabies vaccination but does not exhibit signs of rabies on his own
- there have been no cases of rabies in Toronto
If the public sees wildlife, acting strangely, they can contact the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry at 1-888-574-6656.
If the animal is showing signs of rabies, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry should be contacted immediately.
If a person or pet is being attacked by a coyote, the public should call 9-1-1.
Homeowners should remove any food sources from their property, or accessible garbage as well as close off any possible denning areas under decks or porches, for example. Pets should be kept up to date on rabies vaccinations, per Ontario law, as well as monitored when outside or kept indoors at night.
Toronto Public Health recommends that if a person is bitten or scratched by an animal, such as a coyote, they should:
1. Immediately wash the bite or wound with soap and water for at least 15 minutes.
2. Apply an antiseptic to the wound.
3. Seek medical attention from a healthcare provider to assess their risk and discuss treatment options.
4. Speak with their healthcare provider regarding reporting the animal bite or scratch to Toronto Public Health. Animal bites or scratches can be reported to Toronto Public Health by visiting www.toronto.ca/BiteReport.
For more information, visit the City of Toronto Coyote webpage.
Constable Caroline de Kloet, Corporate Communications, for Detective Bruce Connor, 53 Division