Toronto Caribbean Carnival Parade,
Road Closures, Parking & Towing guidelines
Broadcast time: 11:00
Thursday, August 1, 2019
Public Safety - Major Events
The 52nd annual Toronto Caribbean Carnival Grand Parade is scheduled to take place on Saturday, August 3, 2019.
The Parade will commence at 8:30 a.m. and conclude at 9:00 p.m. The parade will depart Exhibition Place Grounds at British Columbia Drive to westbound Lake Shore Boulevard West. The Parade will travel west along Lake Shore Blvd. W., guest bands and pan bands will turn southbound at Jameson Avenue to eastbound Lake Shore Blvd. W. Mas bands will follow a longer route turning southbound at Parkside Drive to eastbound on Lake Shore Blvd. W. All bands will return to the Exhibition Place for judging via Canada Blvd.
Individual “Blockorama” style concerts will occur in various locations throughout Exhibition Place and along Lake Shore Boulevard West. The bands will continue to play music until 9:00 p.m.
Paid admission is required for access and viewing within the Exhibition Place Grounds, viewing the parade from Lake Shore Blvd. W. is free of charge.
Access to view the parade from Lake Shore Blvd. W. by TTC or on foot is via Parkside Drive, Roncesvalles Bridge, Dowling Bridge, Dufferin Bridge and Strachan Avenue.
Access into the Exhibition Place Grounds can be gained at Dufferin Gates, GO/TTC stop within the Grounds and the Princes' Gates.
There will be no access via Jameson Avenue Bridge or Dunn bridge.
The festival will require numerous road closures and restrictions, which will lead to delays and congestion in the immediate area of the parade. The traffic conditions in the Downtown area, Lake Shore Boulevard West, The Queensway, Queens Quay West and the Fred Gardiner Expressway are expected to be very heavy.
Road Closures within Exhibition Place Grounds and Lake Shore Boulevard West for this event take effect commencing Saturday, August 3, 2019, at 2:00 a.m., until Sunday, August 4, 2019 at approximately 6:00 a.m. including:
• Westbound Lake Shore Boulevard West will be closed to traffic from Bathurst Street to Colborne Lodge
• Eastbound Lake Shore Boulevard West will be closed from Colborne Lodge to Bathurst Street
• Dufferin Street south of Springhurst Avenue
• Strachan Ave south of Liberty Street
• Vehicle access west of Bathurst Street on Fleet Street may be closed determined by need
The following Gardiner Expressway ramps will be closed at 2:00 a.m., on Saturday, August 3, 2019:
• Westbound Gardiner Expressway entry ramp at Jameson Ave
• Jameson Avenue and British Columbia entrance ramps to eastbound Gardiner Expressway
• Westbound Gardiner Expressway to Dunn Avenue exit ramp
The Gardiner Expressway is a restricted access highway, which will be patrolled to ensure that vehicles are not parked adjacent to the parade route and pedestrians do not enter the highway area. Drivers who choose to stop or drive in a manner that puts other road users at risk will be subject to strict enforcement.
Restricted Access Points:
In order to assist the safe movement of traffic and to provide for as little disruption as possible to residents, the following streets will have a restricted access, for vehicles:
• Dufferin Street south of King Street West
• Dowling Avenue south of King Street West
• Stadium Road south of Lake Shore Boulevard west
• Queens Quay West west of Bathurst Street
• Springhurst Avenue west of Jameson Avenue
• Springhurst Avenue east of Jameson Avenue
• All streets from Roncesvalles Avenue to Strachan Avenue, south of King Street are local traffic only commencing at 8:00 a.m. Saturday, August 3, 2019
Other streets, although not restricted to vehicles, will be strictly enforced for parking infractions. Those streets are bounded by King Street West., east of Colborne Lodge and west of Bathurst Street.
All vehicles including tour buses, parked illegally will be tagged and towed:
• Lake Shore Boulevard West. (including the grass mediums and park area)
• Remembrance Drive
• Bathurst Street
• Fleet Street
• King Street West
• Queen Street West
• Roncesvalles Avenue
• Dufferin Street
• The Queensway
• Gardiner Expressway
Vehicles parked illegally in the Parkdale and Stadium Road areas will also be tagged and towed.
It is recommended that you make yourself aware of alternative routes before heading into the downtown or entertainment district areas to avoid delays.
Toronto Transit Commission (TTC):
TTC will provide additional service to and from the event.
It is recommended that spectators use public transit to attend this event. Visit www.ttc.ca for more information.
Ontario Place Parking Access:
Access to and from Ontario Place will be restricted to staff and service vehicles only through Remembrance Drive at the foot of Strachan Avenue.
Constable Allyson Douglas-Cook, Corporate Communications, for Constable Tee Chase, Public Safety - Major Events