Fatal collision #36/2019,
Sheppard Avenue East and Midland Avenue,
Broadcast time: 10:55
Thursday, August 22, 2019
Case #: 2019-1591969
On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at approximately 11:30 a.m., police received a report of a collision at Sheppard Avenue East and Midland Avenue.
It is reported that:
- a Mack Truck, operated by a 47-year-old man, was travelling east on Sheppard Avenue East and was turning south onto Midland Avenue
- at that time, an 76-year-old woman was crossing Midland Avenue from the south west corner of the intersection, in the south crosswalk, on foot
- the pedestrian was struck in the crosswalk and knocked to the ground. She succumbed to her injuries at the scene
- the driver of the truck continued south on Midland Avenue
- a few minutes later, the driver of a white sedan also turned south onto Midland Avenue from Sheppard Avenue East and struck the victim, taking her further south on Midland Avenue
- a young, tall, brown, male driver pulled over, exited the motor vehicle and fled the scene
- police located the Mack truck and driver shortly after the collision. The male driver of the second vehicle has not been located
- a photo of the what is believed to be the second vehicle is released. Investigators are looking to identify this male and vehicle
The investigation is ongoing by members of Traffic Services.
Police are asking local residents, business, and drivers, who may have security or dash camera footage of the area or incident, to contact investigators.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-1900, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Sergeant Brett Moore, Traffic Services, for Superintendent Scott Baptist, Traffic Services