News Year's Eve celebration,
Tuesday, December 31, 2019,
Nathan Philips Square
Broadcast time: 12:00
Monday, December 30, 2019
Public Safety - Major Events
On Tuesday, December 31, 2019, the City of Toronto will be hosting a New Year's Eve celebration at Nathan Phillips Square.
The events start with a skating party from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.. There will also be live music on stage from 8 p.m. to 11:58 p.m.. At midnight, the event will conclude with a pyrotechnic show from the towers at City Hall.
Anyone attending the event is asked to plan ahead and do their part to ensure the event is safely enjoyed by all attendees:
- Plan your ride by having a designated driver, using public transit (TTC is free 7 p.m. onwards), or using a ride-share service with the safety features activated
- Plan your visit by dressing according to weather conditions, staying with your group, and having a plan with your children, should you get separated
- Plan to be patient by giving yourself lots of time to travel around the downtown area; expect large crowds and busy streets
Road closures will be in effect from 5:30 p.m. on December 31, 2019, to 2 a.m. on January 1, 2020, for both vehicular and pedestrian traffic:
- Queen Street West from Yonge Street to University Avenue
- Bay Street from Richmond Street West to Dundas Street West
- York Street from Richmond Street West to Queen Street West
- Hagerman Street from Elizabeth Street to Bay Street
- Elizabeth Street from Foster Place to Hagerman Street
- Albert Street from Bay Street to James Street
- James Street from Queen Street West to Albert Street
There will be diversions implemented with the TTC in the downtown core area.
Motorists are advised to consider alternate routes.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Caroline de Kloet, Corporate Communications, for Constable Susan Guadagnano, Public Safety - Major Events