Man arrested in collision investigation,
Lake Shore Boulevard and Ellis Avenue
Broadcast time: 14:30
Saturday, December 28, 2019
Case #: 2019-2497825
The Toronto Police Service would like to inform the public of an arrest made in a collision investigation.
On Saturday, December 28, 2019, at 5:20 a.m., an officer stopped behind a vehicle that had been involved in a collision in the Lake Shore Boulevard and Ellis Avenue area.
It is alleged that:
- the driver appeared to be impaired by drugs
- the officer attempted to arrest him
- he pushed the officer into live traffic then fled on foot
- the officer pursued the man across the Fred G. Gardiner Expressway
- there was a violent struggle once he was caught
- a loaded and concealed Taurus 9 mm handgun was seized
- a quantity of narcotics was also seized
Josue Varela-Granado, 21, of Toronto, was arrested. He is charged with:
1) Impaired Driving by Drug
2) Assault Peace Officer
3) Escape Lawful Custody
4) Carry Concealed Weapon
5) Possess Restricted Firearm without a Licence
6) Possess Restricted Firearm Knowingly not Holding a Licence
7) Possess Loaded Firearm
8) Store Firearm Carelessly
9) Store Ammunition Carelessly
10) Weapon Dangerous to the Public Peace
11) Fail to Provide Sample on Demand
12) two counts of Possession of Narcotic
13) two counts of Possession of Narcotic for the Purpose of Trafficking
14) Possession of Proceeds of Crime
He will appear in court at Old City Hall on Sunday, December 29, 2019, at 10 a.m., in room 101.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-1100, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable David Hopkinson, Corporate Communications, for Detective Constable Marco Duarte, 11 Division