Man charged in fraud investigation,
Shaun Sulaiman, 30
Broadcast time: 21:40
Wednesday, January 22, 2020
Case #: 2018-2373192
The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of an arrest made in a fraud investigation.
Officers from the Toronto Police Service Financial Crimes Unit – Corporate Crime Section conducted an investigation into the use of false multiple identities.
It is alleged that:
- a man obtained Government of Canada photo identification under the following names:
- financing to purchase vehicles at multiple dealerships in Toronto and the GTA was made using the above alias names
- businesses were registered in the above alias names and used as part of the financing application to deceive the financing companies
On Wednesday, January 15, 2020, officers from the Toronto Police Service Financial Crimes Unit – Corporate Crime Section arrested Shaun Sulaiman, 30, of Oshawa. He is charged with:
1. three counts of Fraud Over $5000
2. Attempt Fraud Over $5000
3. four counts of Utter Forged Document
4. four counts of Unauthorized Possession of Counterfeit Mark
5. four counts of Fraudulent Use of Certificate of Citizenship
6. two counts of Dispose of Property to Defraud Creditors
7. four counts of Make False Statement to Procure Loan
8. two counts of Possession of Proceeds Obtained by Crime Over $5000
9. Launder Proceeds Obtained by Crime
He is scheduled to appear in court at 1911 Eglinton Avenue East, on Thursday, February 20, 2020, at 2 p.m.
Police believe there may be more companies which have been defrauded.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7400, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Jenifferjit Sidhu, Corporate Communications, for Detective Constable Micheal Lane, Financial Crimes Unit