Joon Kim, 86,
Man charged with Manslaughter
Broadcast time: 10:30
Thursday, February 6, 2020
Case #: 2018-661938
On Friday, April 13, 2018, police attended a hospital in relation to a case of suspected elder abuse.
It was alleged that:
- on April 9, 2018, an 86-year-old man fell out of a chair onto the floor in his bedroom
- over the next few days, another man who lived in the house, did not help him
- on April 13, 2018, the man called an ambulance after he checked on him and found him unresponsive.
The man, identified as Joon Kim, 86, of Toronto, was pronounced deceased on May 26, 2018.
Ji Yong Kim, 52, of Toronto, was arrested and, at the time, was charged with:
1. Failing to Provide the Necessities of Life
2. Criminal Negligence Cause Death
The case is now before the courts and an additional charge of Manslaughter was laid during the preliminary inquiry.
This case is now Homicide 97/2018.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7400, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Michelle Flannery, Corporate Communications, for Detective David Crampton, Homicide