Man wanted in rental fraud investigations,
Sungjin Kim, 37,
Broadcast time: 13:00
Tuesday, May 5, 2020
Case #: 2020-795256
The Toronto Police Service would like to alert the public to an investigation into allegations of rental fraud.
Between Monday, April 27, 2020, and Saturday, May 2, 2020, 20 separate people have reported frauds to police concerning the rental of a room in units in 30 Greenfield Avenue.
It is alleged that:
- people responded to an advert on the Korean app Casmo
- some of the victims met with the suspect and were given the opportunity to see the room
- the suspect mentioned to other victims that due to COVID-19, he would not be able to show them the unit
- first and last month's rent were sent to the suspect through e-transfers
- the man did not have the right to rent the room in the unit
Sungjin Kim, 37, of Toronto, is wanted for multiple counts of fraud in relation to these incidents.
Police believe there may be more victims who have been defrauded.
Investigators have information that he has since fled the country.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-3200, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Caroline de Kloet, Corporate Communications, for Detective Constable Wayne Lee, 32 Division