Man and boy arrested for Retail Robberies and carjackings Across the GTA,
More than 100 charges laid against duo dubbed the 'Carjacking Bandits'
Broadcast time: 12:30
Friday, June 5, 2020
Case #: 2020-770347
The Toronto Police Service Hold Up Squad would like to make the public aware of the arrests of a man and a boy dubbed the 'Carjacking Bandits'.
Between Tuesday, April 14, 2020, and Thursday, April 23, 2020, there were fourteen armed robberies, including carjackings, that took place throughout the Greater Toronto Area at various gas station convenience stores.
It is alleged:
- a boy and a man entered the store and propped the entrance door open
- both had a either a knife or a handgun
- they forced their way behind the counter
- the boy and man took cash from the till, cigarettes, lottery tickets and and any merchandise they could grab
It is further alleged:
- at one location they both demanded the victim's car keys and used it as a getaway vehicle
- they also robbed store employees of personal cellphones and wallets
- the man and boy would flee the area in stolen vehicles
It is further alleged:
- during the course of these retail robberies four different stolen vehicles were used by the duo
- they forced and demanded the vehicles be turned over to them by using a handgun and a knife
On Sunday, May 24, 2020, Thunder Bay Police arrested Javoi Elwood, 18, of no fixed address. He is charged with:
1. Conspiracy to Commit Indictable Offence - Robbery
2. nine counts of Robbery with Firearm
3. Robbery with Offensive Weapon
4. two counts of Robbery
5. twelve counts of Disguise with Intent
6. three counts of Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Over $5000
7. sixty counts of Fail to Comply Probation
8. Dangerous Operation Motor Vehicle
He was due to appear in court on Friday, June 5, 2020, at 10 a.m., at 1119 Eglinton Avenue East, room 412.
On Thursday, April 23, 2020, a 17 year-old, of no fixed address was arrested. He is charged with:
1. Conspiracy to Commit an Indictable Offence
2. Dangerous Operation of a Conveyance
3. seven counts of Disguise with Intent
4. seven counts of Fail to Comply with Probation Order
5. six counts of Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Over $5000
6. two counts of Robbery with a Firearm
7. three counts of Robbery
8. Robbery to Steal a Firearm
9. Robbery with an Offensive Weapon
10. Theft of Motor Vehicle
He was due to appear in court on Tuesday, May 5, 2020, at 10 a.m., at 2201 Finch Avenue West, room 204.
***Please refer to Section 110, Subsection 1, of the YCJA:
110. (1) Subject to this section, no person shall publish the name of a young person, or any other information related to a young person, if it would identify the young person as a young person dealt with under this Act.***
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Jenifferjit Sidhu, Corporate Communications, for Inspector Lauren Pogue, Hold Up Squad