Man arrested at anti-racism protest in an Assault with a Weapon, Concealed Weapons Investigation,
Yonge Street and Alexander Street area,
Boyu Shi, 21
Broadcast time: 23:00
Saturday, June 6, 2020
Case #: 2020-1042048
The Toronto Police Service is notifying the public of an arrest in the area of Yonge Street and Alexander Street.
It is alleged:
- On Saturday, June 6, 2020 at approximately 2:32 p.m., an individual who was participating in anti-racism protests on Yonge Street noticed a man on the sidewalk holding a large knife while observing the protest near Yonge Street and Grosvenor Street.
- The individual reported the man to a nearby Toronto Police officer.
- Toronto Police officers made contact with the man who immediately fled on foot.
- The officers gave chase and arrested the man a short distance away.
- The man had 3 knives in his possession.
Boyu Shi, age 21, of Toronto was charged with:
1. Assault with a Weapon
2. Possess Weapon/Dangerous to Public Peace
3. Carry Concealed Weapon
He remains in police custody and will be in court on Sunday, June 7, 2020.
The Toronto Police Service is aware of a video on social media of the arrest. The Service requests media outlets to blur the faces of individuals who are not in uniform, with the exception of the accused, if broadcasting that video.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-5200, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Alex Li, Corporate Communications, for 52 Division.