Fatal Collision # 13/2020,
Keele Street and Calvington Drive
Broadcast time: 10:20
Sunday, June 7, 2020
Case #: 2020-1045064
On Sunday, June 7, 2020, at 12:15am, police received a report of a collision on Keele Street and Calvington Drive.
It is reported that:
- a 17-year-old girl and a 19-year-old woman were walking north on Keele Street at Calvington Drive. They stopped at the southwest corner waiting for the traffic light to change so that they could cross in the designated crosswalk
- at the same time, a black SUV stopped northbound in the left turn lane on Keele Street, waiting for a green light to make the left turn
- as the light turned green, the pedestrians began to cross northbound
- the black SUV entered the intersection and stopped to wait for a southbound motor vehicle to go through the intersection
- as the pedestrians were just over halfway across, the black SUV made a left turn and struck the two female pedestrians
- the 17-year-old succumbed to her injuries at the scene. The woman was taken to hospital with minor injuries
- the black SUV failed to remain at the scene of the collision and was last seen travelling westbound Calvington Drive
Images of the suspect vehicle have been released.
There were other vehicles observed in video footage travelling north and south on Keele Street at the time of the collision. Police are asking local residents, businesses, and drivers, who may have security or dash camera footage of the area or incident, to contact investigators.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-1900, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Edward Parks, Corporate Communications, for Detective Joseph Kranjac on behalf of Superintendent Scott Baptist, Traffic Services