Public Safety Alert,
Broadcast time: 10:00
Thursday, July 16, 2020
Case #: 2020-1199531
The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of a fraud targeting people seeking taxi services.
It is reported that:
- a person waves down a taxi cab and requests a ride to a destination
- once at the destination, the victim is asked to pay with a debit card
- the taxi driver advises they do not have change and do not accept credit payment
- the taxi driver provides the victim with a debit card machine
- the victim uses the debit card machine by placing their card into the device
- during the transaction, the taxi driver switches the victim’s card with another person's debit card
The police would like to remind the public to always:
- keep your card in your possession
- do not give your card to anyone
- do not return a debit card machine with your card still inserted
- inspect your card after each transaction to ensure it is your card
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-1400, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Jenifferjit Sidhu, Corporate Communications, for Detective Constable Mickael Ferreira, 14 Division