Six people arrested in connection with cannabis grow operation,
Street value of more than $2 million,
Cannabis Act charges laid
Broadcast time: 07:00
Thursday, July 30, 2020
Case #: 2020-1406585
On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 4:30 p.m., members of 42 Division of the Toronto Police Service were responding to complaints made by members of the community that a cannabis operation was present in the Markham Road and McNicoll Avenue area.
A search warrant was obtained and an industrial unit was searched by police.
It is alleged that:
- after executing the search warrant, police located evidence of a marihuana distribution operation inside the industrial unit
- officers seized 510 lbs of marihuana with an estimated street value of $2,300,000.00
Six people were arrested:
1. Kiu Chen, 33, of Milton
2. Wei Gao, 33, of Markham
3. Hang Jiang, 27, of Scarborough
4. Shuai Li, 33, of Whitby
5. Hao Liu, 32, of Scarborough
6. Yun Ni, 33, of Scarborough
They were each charged with:
1. Possession of Cannabis for the Purpose of Distributing, Cannabis Act, Section 9(2)
They are all scheduled to appear in court at Old City Hall, on Thursday, October 8, 2020, 10 a.m., room 103.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-4200, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Caroline de Kloet, Corporate Communications, for Inspector Jim Gotell, 42 Division