Mohamed-Aslim Zafis, 58,
Rexdale Boulevard and Kipling Avenue area
Broadcast time: 17:30
Sunday, September 13, 2020
Case #: 2020-1730504
The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of a homicide investigation.
On Saturday, September 12, 2020 at 8:40 p.m., officers responded to an Unknown Trouble call in the Rexdale Boulevard and Kipling Avenue area.
It is reported that:
- a man was working as a volunteer caretaker for the IMO Mosque
- the man was sitting in a chair outside the front doors controlling access to the Mosque to comply with health regulations
- the suspect approached the area and stabbed the man once
- witnesses called 9-1-1, and emergency services attended
- the man was pronounced deceased at the scene
The deceased has been identified as Mohamed-Aslim Zafis, 58, of Toronto.
Homicide investigators are appealing to the public for anyone who may have witnessed the incident to come forward with that information. Investigators are also looking for cell phone images, dash-camera footage, and security video in the area.
Security footage of the suspect has been released.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7400, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Alex Li, Corporate Communications, for Detective Sergeant Henri Marsman, Homicide Squad