Kipling Avenue and Bloor Street West area,
Man arrested, semi-automatic firearm seized
Broadcast time: 20:30
Saturday, October 17, 2020
Integrated Gun & Gang Task Force
Case #: 2020-1968941
The Toronto Police Service, Centralized Shooting Response Team, would like to update the public on a carjacking/shooting investigation.
It is alleged that:
- on Saturday, October 17, 2020, at approximately 2 a.m., a man stole a vehicle from a delivery driver in the Kipling Avenue and Bloor Street West area
- when confronted by the delivery driver, the man produced a firearm and drove away
- the man pointed a firearm at two people while driving
- the man crashed the vehicle a short distance away into a parked construction vehicle
- the man then fled on foot, still armed with the firearm
- the man attempted to enter a building located at 5343 Dundas Street West, but could not do so as the building was locked
- the man then fired multiple shots into the window of the building door to gain access
- officers heard the gunshots as they arrived on scene
- officers confronted the man, who then pointed the firearm at officers
- the man was arrested after a short standoff with officers
- a semi-automatic pistol was recovered
The man was taken to hospital for minor injuries sustained when breaking the window of the building.
Ismail Patel, 22, of Hamilton, was charged with:
1. Robbery with a firearm
2. Have face masked/disguised
3. Occupy motor vehicle with firearm
4. Possess property or thing obtained by crime/not exceeding $5000
5. Dangerous Operation
6. Four counts of Point Firearm
7. Use Firearm/Commit Indictable offence
8. Discharge Firearm into a place/reckless to others
9. Break Enter and Commit place other than dwelling
10. Possess Restricted or Prohibited Firearm without holding a licence and registration certificate
11. Possess Firearm other than restricted or Prohibited firearm knowingly not holding a licence
12. Possess loaded regulated firearm
13. Possess firearm with altered serial number
14. Possess firearm, obtained by crime
15. Two counts of Possess firearm, while prohibited
16. Breach of probation
17. Possess property or thing obtained by crime/exceeding $5000
18. Personation to avoid arrest/prosecution or obstruct justice
He appeared in court at Old City Hall on Saturday, October 17, 2020, 10 a.m., room 111.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-2500, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Laura Brabant, Corporate Communications, for Detective Robert Lemaitre, Guns and Gangs Task force, Centralized Shooting Response Team.