Two arrested for series of armed retail robberies,
Dufferin Street to Keel Street from St. Clair Avenue West to Bloor Street West area,
Joel Gomes, 33, and Stacey Downey, 32
Broadcast time: 17:29
Date: Wednesday, February 10, 2021
Unit: Hold Up
Case #: 2019-138202
The Toronto Police Service’s Hold Up Squad has arrested a man and a woman in relation to six retail robberies that occurred in the Toronto area.
Between Thursday, March 7, 2019 and Wednesday, November 11, 2020, six retail store robberies were committed in the Dufferin Street to Keel Street from St. Clair Avenue West to Bloor Street West area area.
It is alleged that:
- in each incident, a man wearing a mask would enter a store while a woman would wait outside in a vehicle and act as the getaway driver
- the man would use a firearm or knife to threaten the clerk, force his way behind the counter and demand cash while physically assaulting the clerk
- once cash was obtained, the man would flee to the waiting getaway vehicle
Through investigation the identities of the man and the woman were discovered.
On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 a search warrant was executed by members of the Hold Up Squad with assistance from 13 Division Major Crime Unit officers. Both suspects were arrested.
Joel Gomes, 33, of Toronto, is facing the following 24 charges:
1. four counts of Robbery with an offensive weapon
2. Robbery while armed with a firearm
4. six counts of Disguise with intent
5. five counts of Weapons dangerous
6. five counts of Carry concealed weapon
7. Possession of property obtained by crime over $5000
8. Possession of property obtained by crime under $5000
He was scheduled to appeared in court on Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 10 a.m., at Toronto North Court, 1000 Finch Avenue West, Room 306.
Stacey Downey, 32, of Toronto, was arrested and is facing the following three charges:
1. Robbery while armed with a firearm
2. Possession of property obtained by crime over $5000
3. Possession of property obtained by crime under $5000
She was scheduled to appeared in court on Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 10 a.m., at Toronto North Court, 1000 Finch Avenue West, Room 306.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7350, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Michelle Flannery, Corporate Communications, for Inspector Lauren Pogue, Hold Up Squad