14-year-old girl shooting investigation,
Jane Street and Stong Court area,
Broadcast time: 14:30
Date: Thursday, February 18, 2021
Unit: Integrated Gun & Gang Task Force
Case #: 2021-272047
The Toronto Police Service has made an arrest in connection with the shooting of a 14-year-old girl.
The incident happened on Friday, February 12, 2021, in the Jane Street and Stong Court area.
It is alleged that:
- a group of young people were together inside the unit of an apartment building
- a firearm was discharged and a 14-year-old girl was struck in the head
- the suspect and others fled the apartment
The victim was transported to hospital in a life-threatening condition. She is now stable but has life-altering injuries and remains in hospital.
The Toronto Police Integrated Gun & Gang Task Force – Centralized Shooting Response Team immediately launched an investigation and on Tuesday, February 16, 2021, a young person was located and arrested without incident.
The accused, a 17-year-old boy of Toronto, was arrested and charged with:
1. Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm
2. Possession of a Firearm Knowing it is Unauthorized
3. Possession of a Prohibited/Restricted Firearm with Ammunition
4. Careless Storage of a Firearm
5. Discharge Firearm being Reckless as to the Life or Safety of Another Person
6. Aggravated Assault
7. Criminal Negligence Causing Bodily Harm
8. two counts of Fail to Comply with Release Order
He appeared in court at the Toronto West Courts, 2201 Finch Avenue West, on Wednesday February 17, 2021, at 10 a.m.
This remains an ongoing investigation.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-2510, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
***Please refer to Section 110, Subsection 1, of the YCJA:
110. (1) Subject to this section, no person shall publish the name of a young person, or any other information related to a young person, if it would identify the young person as a young person dealt with under this Act.***
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Caroline de Kloet, Corporate Communications, for Detective Stephen Carleton, Integrated Gun & Gang Task Force – Centralized Shooting Response Team