Personal Injury Collision #1/2021,
Also Traffic Fatality #2/2021,
Keele Street and Sheppard Avenue West
Broadcast time: 15:30
Date: Thursday, February 18, 2021
Unit: Traffic Services
Case #: 2021-2228
The Toronto Police Service is updating the public on a collision investigation where a woman has since died and a man charged.
On Friday, January 1, 2021, at 11:29 a.m., police responded to a call for a personal injury collision involving three vehicles at the intersection of Keele Street and Sheppard Avenue West.
It is reported that:
- a black 2012 Mercedes M350 SUV was travelling northbound on Keele Street, entered the intersection at Sheppard Avenue West and struck a motor vehicle that was travelling westbound on Sheppard Avenue
- the Mercedes lost control, hit a stopped vehicle before flipping over and coming to a rest on the boulevard on the west side of Keele Street, north of Sheppard Avenue
- an occupant was pulled out of the vehicle with the assistance of an unknown person(s) in the area at the time of the collision.
See previous news release.
On Saturday, January 30, 2021, the woman involved in this collision died in hospital. A man who received critical injuries has since been released from hospital.
On Wednesday, February 17, 2021, Renato Horvath, 23, of Toronto, was arrested and charged with:
1. Criminal Negligence Causing Death - Section 220 Criminal Code
2. Dangerous Operation of a Conveyance – Section 320.13(1) Criminal Code
3. Flight While Pursued by Peace Officer – Section 320.17 Criminal Code
He is scheduled for court at Toronto North court, 100 Finch Avenue West, Thursday April 22, 2021, 1 p.m., room 301.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Caroline de Kloet, Corporate Communications, for Detective Joseph Kranjac, Traffic Services