Man arrested for knifepoint carjacking,
Yonge Street and Empress Avenue area,
Ali Reza Kateb-Safa, 47
Broadcast time: 10:30
Date: Friday, March 19, 2021
Unit: Hold Up
Case #: 2021-504529
The Toronto Police Service’s Hold Up Squad has arrested a man in relation to a knifepoint carjacking investigation.
On Friday, March 19, 2021, police responded to a robbery in the Yonge Street and Empress Avenue area.
It is alleged that:
- the victim was working as a taxi driver when a man entered his taxi looking for a ride
- the man started to argue with the victim over money
- the man pulled out a knife and tried to stab the victim through a partition separating them
- the victim got out of the cab and fled to safety
- the man moved into the front seat and then drove away from the scene in the taxi
Officers from 32 Division quickly arrived on scene and were able to locate the taxi with a man inside.
It is further alleged that:
- at the time of arrest, the man was found in possession of the knife used in the robbery
On Friday, March 19, 2021, Ali Reza Kateb-Safa, 47, of Toronto, was arrested and charged with:
1. Robbery with an Offensive Weapon
2. Weapons Dangerous
3. Carry Concealed Weapon
4. Dangerous Operation of a Conveyance
5. Possession Property Obtained by Crime Over
6. Fail to Comply Release Order
He is scheduled to appear in court virtually at Toronto North Court, 1000 Finch Avenue West, on Friday, March 19, 2021, 10 a.m., room 306.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7350, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Caroline de Kloet, Corporate Communications, for Acting Inspector Shawn Getty, Hold Up