Arrest Made in Theft of Motor Vehicle Investigation,
Bloor Street West and Ossington Avenue area,
Yonis Fernandez, 23
Broadcast time: 07:09
Date: Tuesday, March 23, 2021
Unit: 14 Division
Case #: 2021-523439
The Toronto Police Service would like to advise the public of an arrest made in a theft of motor vehicle investigation.
It is alleged that:
- on Sunday, March 21, 2021, at 9:27 p.m., a man was observed driving a stolen Mazda 5 in the Queen Street West and Walnut Avenue area
- On Sunday, March 21, 2021, at 9:30 p.m., the same man parked the Mazda 5, exited the vehicle, and stole a grey Toyota Corolla
- On Sunday, March 21, 2021, at 10:30 p.m., the man exited the Toyota Corolla and stole a black Dodge Journey in the Bloor Street West and Ossington Avenue area
- the man fled the area in the Dodge Journey, which had a 4-year-old child occupying the rear seat
- a short time later, the Dodge Journey was recovered in the Dupont Street and Ossington Avenue area with the child, unharmed, still inside the vehicle
The man was identified by investigators.
On Monday, March 22, 2021, the man was located and arrested.
Yonis Fernandez, 23, of Toronto is charged with:
1. Three counts of Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Over
2. Two counts of Theft of Motor Vehicle
3. Fail to remain (HTA)
4. Two counts of Fail to comply with release order
5. Two counts of Fail to comply with probation order
6. Carry concealed weapon
7. Possess Prohibited Weapon (Brass Knuckles)
He is scheduled to appear in court on Tuesday, March 23, 2021, Old City Hall, room 101, at 10 a.m.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-1400, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Laura Brabant, Corporate Communications, for Detective Darren Worth, 14 Division