Public Safety Alert,
Scam targeting Chinese international students
Broadcast time: 16:05
Date: Thursday, August 26, 2021
Unit: 43 Division
The Toronto Police Service would like to advise the public of a scam targeting Chinese international students.
It is reported that:
- unknown individuals are contacting Chinese international students studying in Toronto
- the unknown individuals are claiming to be with the authorities in China
- the scammers call the students and inform them they are under investigation in China for various types of offences
- the students are told to send money via wire transfers, usually to China or Hong Kong, in order to resolve the matter
- the students are told not to tell anyone about this
Police would like to remind the public to be vigilant and never transfer money to unknown accounts.
If anyone receives these types of calls, please contact police immediately to report it. If anyone believes they have been a victim of this scam, or a similar scam, they are urged to also report it to police.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-2222, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Jenifferjit Sidhu, Corporate Communications, for Detective Constable David Clark, 43 Division