Man arrested and charged as part of Bail Compliance Check,
Che Benjamin, 42
Broadcast time: 15:55
Date: Monday, September 27, 2021
Unit: 43 Division
Case #: 2021-1845367
On Saturday, September 25, 2021, officers were conducting bail compliance checks in the Danforth Road and Eglinton Avenue East area.
It is alleged that:
- a man was found in non-compliance of his bail conditions when officers spotted him driving a motor vehicle after his curfew hours,
- the man was arrested and found to be in possession of non-prescription drugs, also a violation of his bail conditions
- a quantity of cocaine (10.8 grams) and a digital scale were seized
Upon further investigation, multiple search warrants were executed in the Danforth Road and Eglinton Avenue East area.
It is alleged that officers seized four scales and a block of cocaine, weighing almost 920 grams, during the search warrants.
Che Benjamin, 42, of Toronto, was charged with:
1. Three counts of Failing to Comply with a Release Order
2. Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking in a Schedule I Substance
3. Possess Property Obtained by Crime Under $5000
He appeared in court, on Sunday, September 26, 2021, at 1911 Eglinton Avenue East, and has been held in custody.
Police officers across the city are assigned to conduct bail compliance checks on individuals with stringent conditions of release to verify they are abiding by court-ordered restrictions which are put in place to ensure community safety.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Jenifferjit Sidhu, Corporate Communications, for Detective Sergeant Jesse Van Nest, 43 Division