Public Safety Alert,
Rental Fraud Scams
Broadcast time: 14:30
Date: Friday, October 1, 2021
Unit: 52 Division
The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of a condominium rental scam specifically with units located at 12 York Street and 14 York Street.
It is reported that:
- rental advertisements are placed on Kijiji
- the units advertised for rent are located at 12 York Street and 14 York Street
- the suspect and victim correspond via phone and text to discuss the property
- the suspect meets with the victim at the rental location
- the victim is shown a property and the suspect acts as an agent of the property owner
- the unit is actually being rented by the suspect as a short-term rental, which allows them access to the property
- the victim signs what they believe to be a valid rental agreement and then sends a deposit via an electronic money transfer
- once the money transfer is received, the suspect no longer returns calls or messages and blocks the victim's phone number
- the suspect uses a variety of names when advertising as a rental agent or owner of the property
Police would like to remind the public of the following:
- be mindful of signing any rental agreement and/or sending deposits
- rent through legitimate agents that can be thoroughly checked
- confirm with the building property owner that the unit is available for long-term rent
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-5200, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Jenifferjit Sidhu, Corporate Communications, for Detective Constable Nicole Ozretic, 52 Divison