Fatal Collision #40/2021,
Fred Gardiner Expressway and Islington Avenue
Broadcast time: 17:55
Date: Sunday, October 3, 2021
Unit: 22 Division
Case #: 2021-1896382
On Sunday, October 3, 2021, at 1:32 a.m., officers responded to a call for a collision in the Gardiner Expressway and Islington Avenue area.
It is reported that:
- a grey Nissan was travelling eastbound on the Gardiner Expressway
- a white 2015 Audi R8 was also travelling eastbound at a high rate of speed
- the Audi R8 struck the rear of the Grey Nissan
- the impact pushed the Nissan into the median guard rail causing it to flip
- a 58-year-old woman was trapped inside the Nissan
- she was transported to hospital with life-threatening injuries
- she succumbed to her injuries and was pronounced deceased in hospital
- the 61-year-old driver of the Nissan sustained non-life-threatening injuries
- the driver of the Audi fled the scene on foot
There were a number of motorists that stopped to render assistance. Some were observed taking video of the scene moments after the collision. Police are appealing to those witnesses, and any others that may have information that would assist in the investigation, to contact police.
Police are also seeking CCTV, dash camera footage or any further information related to the incident.
Investigators would also like to speak to anyone who may have seen the Audi R8 prior to the collision during the evening leading up to the collision.
A stock photo of an Audi R8 is provided.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-1900, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable David Hopkinson, Corporate Communications, for Detective Joseph Kranjac, Traffic Services