Fatal #41/2021 and #42/2021,
Parkside Drive and Spring Road
Broadcast time: 10:30
Date: Friday, November 19, 2021
Unit: Traffic Services
Case #: 2021-1961568
On Tuesday, October 12, 2021 at 4:40 p.m., police received a report of a personal injury collision involving five vehicles near Parkside Drive and Spring Road.
It is reported that:
- a 38-year-old man was driving a 2013 BMW 320i, southbound on Parkside Drive near Spring Road at a high rate of speed
- the BMW 320i collided with a 2003 Toyota Matrix vehicle which created a chain reaction with three other motor vehicles
- the driver of the Toyota Matrix, a 71-year-old man, was pronounced deceased at the scene
- the passenger in the Toyota Matrix - a 69-year-old woman, was taken to hospital where she succumbed to her injuries
- the driver of the BMW 320i was taken to hospital with non life-threatening injuries
The investigation is ongoing by members of Traffic Services.
Police are asking local residents, businesses and drivers, who may have security or dash camera footage of the area or incident, to contact investigators.
On Friday, November 19, 2021, Artur Kotula, 38, of Burlington, was arrested. He has been charged with:
1. two counts of Criminal Negligence Causing Death
He is to appear in court at Old City Hall on Friday, November 19, 2021, at 10 a.m.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-1900, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Detective Constable Andy Sims, Traffic Services, for Superintendent Scott Baptist, Traffic Services