Man arrested for attempt murder after firing gun at officers,
Hilton Avenue and St Clair Avenue West area,
Michael Katz, 35
Broadcast time: 17:50
Date: Saturday, December 25, 2021
Unit: 13 Division
Case #: 2021-2479567
The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of an arrest made after a man fired a gun at officers.
On Saturday, December 25, 2021, at 7:52 a.m., officers responded to a call for a fail to remain collision in the Hilton Avenue and St Clair Avenue West area.
It is alleged that:
- a man driving a 2021 white Kia Forte struck a vehicle
- he drove away from the scene
- officers located him a short time later
- when officers attempted to arrest him he fought with them
- he pulled out a handgun during the struggle and shot at the officers
- he was able to take one of the officers conducted energy weapons (CEW)
- with the help of a citizen the officers were able to arrest him
Both officers received minor injuries from this struggle. They were both treated on scene and finished their duties.
Michael Katz, 35, of Toronto, is charged with:
1. two counts of Attempt Murder
2. two counts of Discharge Firearm with Intent
3. two counts of Assault Peace Officer with Weapon
4. Disarming a Peace Officer
5. Possess Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition
6. Carrying Concealed Weapon
7. Possession of a Firearm Unauthorized Place Contrary to Licence
8. Fail to Stop at Scene of Accident
9. Operation of a Conveyance while Impaired to any degree by BAC or Drug
He will appear in court at Old City Hall on Sunday, December 26, 2021, at 10 a.m., via video link.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-1300, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable David Hopkinson, Corporate Communications for Detective Peter Hart, Organized Crime Enforcement, Gun and Gang Task Force