Traffic Services

· Home
· Child Safety Seats
· Involved in a Collision?
· Collision Reporting Centres
· Community Partners / Links
· Detective Office
· Divisional Traffic Response Units
· Have you been towed?
· Highway Patrol
· Traffic Complaints
· Investigative Units
· Identity Fraud/Personation Unit
· Reconstruction Office
· Traffic Enforcement Group
· Traffic Safety Programs
· Warrant Office

Traffic Services

What to do when you’re involved in a collision

Ontario law requires that drivers who are involved in a collision must surrender their drivers licence information, insurance information and vehicle information to the other involved drivers.

  1. If anyone has suffered an injury resulting in the person being transported to a hospital or there is any evidence of criminality CALL 911 right away.

  2. If it is safe to do so and the vehicles can be moved, move all involved vehicles to an area of safety.

  3. If the involved vehicles have over $2,000 combined damage you must report the collision to police FORTHWITH (that means IMMEDIATELY).

  4. Take down the licence plate number of the involved vehicles.

  5. Take note of the year, make, model and colour of the other involved vehicle.

  6. Exchange insurance policy and company information, ask for the drivers licence to confirm the drivers full name and also take down a phone number from the involved individual.

  7. If there are any witnesses ask for their information as well.

  8. Take photographs of the area, involved vehicle, driver, passengers or involved individuals as well as a photo of all documentation provided by the involved driver.

  9. Attend at a Collision Reporting Center during the hours of 6:00 a.m. to Midnight. Collisions occurring after midnight will be investigated at the scene by police.
    	North Collision Reporting Centre
    	113 Toryork Drive, Toronto, ON M9L 1X9
    	Tel: 416-745-1600
    	East Collision Reporting Centre
    	39 Howden Road, Scarborough, ON M1R 3C7
    	Tel: 416-701-1600
    Note: if your vehicle is not driveable, it must be towed directly to the CRC. A flat rate of $166 plus tax or, $188 plus tax will be charged by the towing company depending on if the vehicle was towed from a street or, a highway.